Some favorite recipes of mine from summery, beachy, fun restaurants at Disney!
Broccoli Cranberry Salad
Cape May Café, Beach Club Resort (Walt Disney World)
4 cups broccoli flowerettes (chopped fine)
¼ cup diced celery
8 oz. pkg. dried cranberries
¼ cup shelled sunflower seeds
1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup vinegar
In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cranberries, sunflower seeds and celery. Pour dressing over and toss. Keep refrigerated.
New England Clam Chowder (my favorite clam chowder EVER!)
Cape May Café, Beach Club Resort
1/2 lb onion, diced
1/2 lb celery, diced
12 oz red potatoes, large diced
2 cans chopped clams and juice
32 oz half & half
32 oz clam juice
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
To Taste – white pepper
4 drops Tabasco
1 oz bacon grease (or oil)
1/2 lb roux
1/4 lb butter & 1/4 lb flour
Melt butter, blend in flour to make roux.
1. In a 2 gallon stockpot, cook onion and celery in bacon grease until translucent.
2. Pour in chopped clams in juice, clam juice, diced potato and seasoning; blend well.
3. Bring to simmer over medium heat, for 5 – 10 minutes.
4. Add half & half, increase heat until it comes to a slow boil.
5. Add roux slowly, mixing well. Keep mixing until well incorporated.
6. Reduce heat – simmer for 15 minutes.
Makes 1 gallon.
Don Shula’s Barbecue Basil Shrimp
Shula’s, Swan & Dolphin Resort (Walt Disney World)
8 lg shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 fresh basil leaves
4 strips smoked bacon, cut in half
1 lemon wedges
1 fresh parsley for garnish
1 c thick, high quality barbecue sauce
1 tb ground horseradish
1 tb honey
1 tb black pepper
To make shrimp: Take each shrimp and place one fresh basil leaf
around it. Carefully warap each shrimp with half a piece of bacon and
secure with a tooth pick. Place the prepared shrimps on a flat cookie
sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Turn
on the broiler and let shrimp brown for 3 to 4 more minutes. Remove
To make the sauce: Combine the barbecue sauce,
horseradish, honey, and black pepper in a blender or food processor
and let machine run 1 minute.
To serve: Place the hot cooked shrimp
in a bowl and lightly toss with barbecue sauce. Serve garnished with
lemon wedges and sprinkling of parsley.
Grilled Corn Potato Salad
Napa Rose, Grand Californian Hotel & Spa (Disneyland)
1½ lb potatoes (fingerling, red new or gold)
2 c grilled corn kernels, approximately 5 cobs
1 c creamed corn
1 c cut green beans, blanched
2/3 c grilled red onions (cut onion into rings, then grill the same way as the corn)
2 Tbl chopped thyme
1 Tbl each chopped sage and chopped parsley
½ c sour cream
2 Tbl lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Grill corn and onions. Cut potatoes into bite-sized wedges. Place the potatoes in cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for approximately 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain off all water and season potatoes, while warm, with salt and pepper. Place warm potatoes in a mixing bowl and add all other ingredients. You can now serve or chill and serve tomorrow after re-heating.
Castaway Cay (Disney Cruise Line)
3 oz. Light Rum
3 oz. Dark Rum
4 oz. Orange Juice
8 oz. Cream of Coconut
6 oz. Passion Fruit Juice Concentrate
3 oz. Ice
Mix in blender until slushy.
Whispering Canyon Berry Cobbler
Whispering Canyon, Wilderness Lodge (Walt Disney World)
Biscuit for cobbler
1½ c Shortening – all purpose
1 Tbl salt
2½ Tbl sugar
5 Tbl baking powder
7½ c flour – all purpose
2½ c buttermilk
1) Add shortening, salt, sugar, baking powder, and flour.
2) Mix until crumbly, small pea size pieces.
3) Add buttermilk and mix very little, only to bring together into a dough.
4) Roll out on flour dusted table 1/2″ thick, place on greased backing sheet.
5) Bake at 400* until light brown on top approximately 18 minutes.
6) When cool, crumple up 2 oz of baked biscuit and place in 6″ skillet.
Cobbler Berry filling:
1½ c water, cold
¾ c sugar
2¼ Tbl cornstarch
4 oz apples, sliced fresh or frozen
4 oz red raspberries, frozen
4 oz blueberries, frozen
2 oz cranberries, frozen
1) Put all fruit except blueberries in pot.
2) Place on stove on high heat.
3) Dissolve starch in water and add to fruit and stir.
4) When mixture starts to thicken, add blueberries, stir.
5) Cook until thick and clear, stirring often.
6) When cool scoop 8oz of filling over crumpled biscuit in skillet.
¾ c butter
¼ c sugar, granulated
¼ c sugar, brown
3¼ c flour – all purpose
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon
1) Put all into mixing bowl, use dough hook or paddle and mix until crumbs.
2) Do not over mix, or it will turn into dough.
1) Sprinkle ½ oz streusel over biscuit crumbs in 6″ skillet.
2) Place berry filling over biscuit with streusel and sprinkle 2½ oz of streusel topping over fruit.
3) Bake cobbler in 400* oven for 15 – 20 minutes, or until streusel topping is light brown.
4) Serve with Loganberry ice cream.
I'm free for a beach vacation...