Tired of those darn New Year’s resolutions already? Here’s a great brunch dish from The Wave of Contemporary American Flavors (or just “The Wave) at Walt Disney World’s Contemporary Resort.
Sweet Potato Pancakes with Pecan-Honey Butter
Serves 4 to 6
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (from about 1 small sweet potato)
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Add baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; whisk until combined.
- Combine milk, brown sugar, sweet potato, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl; whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium-low heat until a few drops of water sizzle on the surface. If using an electric skillet, preheat to 350°F.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto skillet. Cook on first side until tops bubble and sides look dry; flip and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes more.
- Place cooked pancakes on a baking sheet and place into preheated oven to keep warm. Repeat process with remaining batter.
For pecan-honey butter:
- Stir together butter, honey and pecans in a medium bowl.
- Top pancakes with honey-pecan butter and serve immediately.
The Wave features local, organic and seasonal items both a la carte from the menu or from the buffet tucked away at the back of the restaurant. Give it a try! I’m ready for my Walt Disney World vacation quote